Essential Skills for Journalism – Manchester (combined membership)
Our Essential Skills for Journalism course in Manchester is the first step on a pathway to the NCTJ – the accredited qualification for Journalists.
Our face to face course includes:
12 weeks of learning (3 months)
2 hours’ tutor contact a week at Honest Coffee – shared workspace in Manchester – total 24 hours contact time.
Plus, a minimum of 2-4 hours a week independent study via online resources, handouts, worksheets and journalism tasks.
Access to any webinars and videos used by the online course students
Throughout the course, the aim is to start building a portfolio – minimum outputs include:
- 1 x personal blog
- 1 x news story
- 1 x Q and A feature with a business
- 1 x feature for Summer 2016 magazine
What does the course cover?
- Module 0 – Intro to ESFJ
- Module 1 – The importance of the Audience
- Module 2 – Finding your feet – Getting those ideas
- Module 3 – Finding your feet – blogging
- Module 4 – Finding your feet – feature writing
- Module 5 – The basics of Interviewing
- Module 6 – The basics of News Writing
- Module 7- Intro to Journalism Law
- Module 8 – Social Media
- Module 9 -Wordpress Skills
*module order and content subject to change where necessary
At the end of the course, students will receive:
- Certificate of Achievement
- Reference and recommendation on Linkedin
- Help to progress on to accredited courses or career pathways.
- Ongoing volunteering opportunities as part of the VFTS team
Other benefits of the course:
- Increased confidence to achieve personal goals – new career path, increase writing, improve skills
- Industry contacts
- Improve or gain basic working knowledge of journalism and the media industry
- Guest workshops – photography and radio
- Improve communication, English and IT skills
- Access to past papers from the NCTJ to test and improve knowledge
- Focus on digital journalism– help build the next era of Visit from the Stork magazine.
- Interactive – Quizzes, access to private Facebook group, formative and summative assessments to measure progress.
- Taught by an NCTJ Qualified journalist
The Essential Skills for Journalism – Combined membership is £100 > that’s equivalent to £8.30 a week. You can even pay in instalments on request.
Our course starts on Monday 8th February 6-8pm at Honest Coffee, Manchester (subject to confirmation) for 12 weeks.
Sign up now – become a member and pay for the course now, or we’ll send you BACS details to pay via instalments. If you can’t make it to the face to face course, or have any questions before you buy, register your interest, and we’ll answer any queries and add you to the mailing list for future courses.